The Symfony hackday is a day where we gather in the same room, meet each other & contribute to open source code. Everybody is welcome: it does not matter if you've never contributed before or if you consider yourself an expert in open-source software.
What should we do?
The short answer is: Whatever you want. If you want to have some inspiration or ideas, see the following focus points:
- Add support for Symfony 7 to third-party bundles and libraries
- Strengthen the security of the codebase;
- Reduce the number of open issues and pull requests for Symfony;
- Write and improve documentation;
- Work towards improving the diversity of the community;
- Enhance continuous integration through end-to-end tests and additional providers.
One thing that is super helpful for maintainers is reproducing bugs. It is way easier to resolve a bug report with a code example and that is verified by someone.
Have a look at the open bug reports, try to understand and reproduce the bugs. Make a comment like "Status: Reviewed" (if you can reproduce) or "Status: Works for me". Also explain what you have tried, maybe add some code example or maybe even a link to a new test repository.
If the bug was verified and you want to walk the extra mile, you can also try fixing it. Ask in Slack for help.
Review open PRs
If you really want a challenge, go through the open PRs and review them. Make a comment about what you like and what could be improved. Maybe event test the PR to make sure it works. Then try to figure out why the PR is still open.
- Does it need a decision for the Core Team?
- Does it need more work? If the PR has been stalled for a long time, maybe you want to finish it?
- If it is not clear why it is stalled, make sure to submit a Github review with "Approve" or "Request changes"
How to checkout someone else's PR?
After setting up Symfony on your PC. You can use the following Git commands to checkout a PR (in this case number 38920) locally:
git fetch upstream pull/38920/head:pr-38920
git checkout pr-38920
See Community Reviews for more information.
Make it count
Whenever you make a PR or Issue on GitHub, please add #SymfonyHackday in the description. Then we can count the contributions!
We will start around 09:30 CET and continue contributing until around 15:00. Nobody is expected to participate for the full day - you can come and go as you please!